"Make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservation, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. If you want to get more out of life, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty."
- Jon Krakauer (Into the Wild)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Beginnings in 2011

Welcome to my blog! This blog is dedicated to all family, friends, teachers, and coaches out there who have been a part of my life, and have supported (or challenged) all of my endeavors. If you are reading this, then you may already know that I have decided to take winter quarter off of school to pursue competitive snowboarding. After years of taking tests on the road and traveling with 100 pounds of books to snowboard competitions, it became clear that I wasn't just going to let snowboarding slide off the radar. Finally, as a junior at Stanford, my major allowed me to organize my classes in fall and spring so I could take winters off to snowboard and give my back a break from all the books (thanks quarter system!). After rigorous strength training and trampolining in the fall with my roommate and partner in crime, Anu Khosla, and the one and only pterodactyl-man-coach, Carl Paoli, I packed my room into my subaru and moved out to Utah to train with Dustin Linker and the Wasatch Project (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wasatch-Project/90694842548). With the help of Carl, and Naka Athletics (www.nakaathletics.com), I felt prepared to take on the season at full strength. Two years after ACL surgery, I finally said goodbye to my knee brace. This season is about pushing boundaries, defying odds, and dancing with dreams. I am a firm believer 1) in full recovery from injury (in one way or another) and 2) that you will never recognize your full potential unless you go for it. The Wasatch Project has given me the opportunity to take my fall training to the snow, as we travel around the United States to competitions this winter. I am very grateful for this opportunity and cannot wait to see what adventures this season has in store.

With my winter schedule already packed, I figured I would create a blog to document my travels, achievements, not-so achievements, and everything else that comes across my path in the next couple of months. To all of you out there - thank you so much for all the support throughout the years, I wouldn't be where I am without all the people in my life who have inspired me to get here. Stanford, I'll see ya in April!

Enjoy!


"Seize this very minute; whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

3 comments:

  1. Wish you all the best on your adventurous journey! Looking forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can train in Ooltewah.....we have a trampoline.

    ReplyDelete